nyc favorites: bookstores + hauls

July 27, 2018

Scattered around the streets of NYC is an abundant range of tiny vintage bookshops; where old but gold stories which have witnessed other stories aside from its own hibernate until they find a new living story to be touched by their own once again. A lot of these bookshops may be hidden from mundane tourist sights to loyally please the locals, thus I have not found many in my few finite stays in the city. Nevertheless, I did have my own moments of serendipity upon accidentally crossing paths with treasures I never knew I'd someday find.

NYC book hauls
The Strand Times Square
The very first one I spotted was at the very heart of tourist attractions -- in Times Square. I myself am not a big fan of being a tourist and being around tourist spots, but if it meant the love of my life -- books -- then I wouldn't bother. Though the blinding screens and Broadway promos caught most of the attention of the sea of tourists, I begged to differ. After an extensive stroll in the unreasonably cold wind of early spring, my dad and I could barely feel our legs (because of both the transitioning winter-spring weather and the way-too-many-blocks of walking). It wasn't the sight of chairs nor the warmth of the cup of coffee waiting for me that excited me that time. Rather, it was upon unexpectedly catching sight of a nook that felt exactly how home should feel. It was a pop-up stand of this bookshop called The Strand. I have read about The Strand once in this young adult book I used to read, "Dash and Lily's Book of Dares," by John Green and Rachel Cohn, where it was marked as the place the lives of the main characters collided; though, the one in the book referred to the main location of The Strand, not the one I found seemingly lowkey in such a touristy spot. I believe there is also another branch of The Strand somewhere in Central Park, but I have failed to visit it.


These are my book hauls from The Strand (except for The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath which I got from Barnes & Nobles).  The books I bought from The Strand were all half the price off their original prices, and that instantly made me the happiest person in the universe. The first one I got was from last year: 800 Years of Women's Letters. I got it for around 5 bucks and it was my best purchase for the year 2017. I remember freezing my fingers until they were numb under the not-so-springy-yet-March winds, but because I was overwhelmed, I became really persistent in looking for the perfect book for me. Till now, it is still a valued treasure which I am so proud of finding for myself.

The rest of the five books I got only on my trip this year.

Before leaving for New York, I watched this film entitled The Talented Mr. Ripley, and it became part of my instant favorites since then. So when I found the second novel in Patricia Highsmith's Ripliad series, "Ripley Underground," I knew then it was meant to be.

Good Morning Midnight by Jean Rhys is one of those books which you never knew ever existed until you find it in some vintage bookstore. When I looked it up on the Internet, I realized it had such a depressing storyline. In fact, according to my research, many believed that the author, Jean Rhys, disappeared from public view and fallen into obscurity shortly after this book was published. Though I am quite terrified to read a novel that may trigger something unwanted, I think I'd still give it a shot considering it centers on how a woman deals with her vulnerability, depression, loneliness, and desperation during the years between the two World Wars, which I deem to be interesting.

The copy of A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway I bought was exceptional; another treasure indeed. Though it isn't an original copy (it was the restored edition), I was still beyond thrilled because one, it was after all Ernest Hemingway, and well, it had Paris in the 20s! Second, it had prints of handwritten manuscripts of Hemingway, which was just superb.



Because I was in New York, I felt obligated to buy myself a book that was all about New York. I ended up buying The Colossus of New York by Colson Whitehead. I read a few parts of it, and realized I was not its target audience. It was an ode to New York, more importantly to its locals. Despite this, I still liked it because it gave me a glimpse of being a local around New York. In fact, I found that it wasn't all too not relatable. I brought it with me around New York, to places it had stories about, like in Central Park and Coney Island. Basically, the book was about how ephemeral, how fast-changing New York just is. And locals had to cope with the pace of their nostalgia.

The Colossus of New York by Colson Whitehead
The final book I got was The Great Gatsby by, of course, F. Scott Fitzgerald. I've always been meaning to buy this book back home but never had the chance to. So when I found the 75th Anniversary Edition, I didn't think twice. I liked this version because it also included A Brief Life of F. Scott Fitzgerald, so again, that's hooray for more glimpse of Paris in the 20s.

Reading at one of its locations: Long Island City Piers
So I have been professing my obsession for Paris in the 20s. One of the unforgettable moments I had in that bookstore was not the good kind of unforgettable. I had a dilemma. I got hold of this book entitled Paris in the 20s, and ever since, I've had nightmares about it. It's because I only promised myself I'd buy 5 books that day, and unfortunately, I had to sacrifice that book which to this day, I still strongly regret. The basis why I had to give that one up was because one, I was feeling as though my sense of patriotism was slowly fading away, which did not please me; two, I told myself I could just look those up online, whereas hard copy novels were more optimal in that case; and three, I vowed to myself that I'd get myself an original Parisian book once I step foot on the Parisian streets. So that's that. It's almost similar to the feeling of "falling in love in the subway."























The next bookstore I found is a whole lot more lowkey. I didn't know exactly where it was or what it was called because I was consumed by the fact that I was a minor walking alone around a city I barely knew. I just happened to be some sort of lost, silently hoping Google Maps was taking me to the right route to my destination because I was apparently in some kind of alleyway that hasn't heard of sunlight ever since skyscrapers took over the place. But that place amazed me because that was where I bought a Van Gogh biography book for only a dollar! This, unlike the pop-up Strand, was an actual building. It had a wide range of really cheap yet very exceptional finds. Not only books, but as well as DVDs, music, and video games. It was really big and though the books were arranged by their genre, you'd still have to be extra patient and diligent to scavenge ones that would significantly pique your interest.

Pop-up bookstall in Union Square
The one in Union Square is my favorite so far. This one may not be hidden, sat beneath a tree along the pavements just outside of Union Square Park, thus it was easy for me to cross paths with it. I took the 6 train to Union Square, somewhere along 14th street, and while on my way to the direction headed for Washington Square, one of the most beautiful unexpected things happened to me that day, and it was without a doubt this bookstall.




This bookstore was magical. It had lots of selections, I don't know where to start. I found this book entitled Life with Picasso, and got it for somewhere around 10 bucks. I don't regret it one bit. I have began reading it and it talked about Picasso in the point of view of a commoner who has interacted with him one way or another. There was this other book entitled For Whom the Bells Toll by Ernest Hemingway. I wanted so much to buy it because inside, there seemed to be original manuscripts, though I am unsure whether this was an original copy of the book. But I didn't get it because it costed around 20 dollars, and I told myself, I don't really need it, and anyway I already have a copy of A Moveable Feast so I guess that's enough for me.

For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway
Union Square hauls: Life with Picasso and Greek Poets; painting by Filipino artist Jose Joya
Other than purchasing Life with Picasso, I also bought a book called "Greek Poets," which is basically a book that contained the many greek works from the earliest times to the fifth century A.D. Some works included Homer, works by Sappho, Plato, Aristotle, and many, many more.

Another interesting thing was that the place also sold this journal which I assume was that of a fashion designer's. It had designs of dresses and hats and I couldn't quite tell if it was from the older decades, because a lot of the designs are on-trend today, but it was the kind of trends which were relived from the older decades. The cover seemed old but I am no expert in history, let alone fashion history, so I couldn't really seem to tell. What gave me an idea that it was a journal and not a published book is because one, it had no title, and two, there were several blank pages.

A fashion designer's journal
I was also captivated by the stack of Picasso sketches displayed in this bookstall. There were more than ten volumes. It fascinated all the passers-by, making them stop on their tracks and would converse with the seller in awe about the collection of Picasso's sketches.

























If you really think that's all the perfectness in a single place, then you're wrong. Just right beside of it is another stall, but this time it's a stall that sells CDs of timeless jazz soundtracks. Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Tony Bennett, Cole Porter, Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, you name it! It even played selections on, so while I was enjoying a scavenger hunt on the bookstall right beside it, I had cymbals and trumpets serenading me in the background under a perfectly summer afternoon. Above is a video of the said music and bookstall of Union Square. Basically, this place was just to die for!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments